Re: boot ordering and resolvconf

On Wed, 03 Jul 2013, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> Does that mean it's an RC bug for any non-manual process to overwrite
> [/etc/resolv.conf]? I'd be happy to file bugs.

I don't believe it's RC, but it's certainly a bug. [The fact that
dhclient does this when it's not called with appropriate arguments is
pretty annoying.]

> If I do [invocation of resolvconf] by hand, that information will
> never ever be overwritten by dhclient, NM, openvpn or tools, and it
> persists through reboots?

If you put that in /etc/rc.local and use an interface with high enough
priority to override everything else, sure.

> Ok, good, that's different from the behaviour I've seen in the past,
> but if that's fixd, that's great.

It's been updating files in a memory-backed filesystem for a very long
time.

> Not sure what you mean by «resolver»?

Same thing you do.

"There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the
right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself."
 -- Bach