Re: boot ordering and resolvconf

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Don Armstrong
> > Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > > It seems resolvconf wants to get its name servers from
> > > /etc/network/interfaces?
> >
> > Resolvconf can get its nameservers from anywhere that calls
> >
> > echo 'namserver information'|resolvconf -a interface.program;
>
> If I do that by hand, that information will never ever be overwritten by
> dhclient, NM, openvpn or tools, and it persists through reboots?

Now that we have so many mobile devices the network may come and go
dynamically.  Therefore we need a dynamic method to update
nameservers.  When a network is activated it would call the above to
configure the nameservers found for that network interface.  When the
network interface is deactivated then those nameservers will need to
be removed.  Having them fixed statically would defeat the purpose.

And also there is the need to change nameservers when VPNs are
established.  A vpn comes online will often mean that the nameservers
from that vpn need to be used to access private names on that network.

I miss the old days when we could simply edit the files in /etc once
and be done with it.  That is still the way I do things on servers.
But on servers I don't install resolvconf.  However on mobile devices
that roam from network to network resolvconf rocks!

Bob