Re: boot ordering and resolvconf

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> Automatic processes overwrite explicit admin setups.

If /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to somewhere else, then it's
appropriate for automatic processes to override it by writing to
"somewhere else". If it's not a symlink, then it shouldn't be
overridden.

> It seems resolvconf wants to get its name servers from
> /etc/network/interfaces?

Resolvconf can get its nameservers from anywhere that calls

echo 'namserver information'|resolvconf -a interface.program;

> Also, I don't think updating files in /etc at runtime is a sensible
> idea, it should be possible to run with / read-only if you want to.

Yes, which is exactly why resolvconf doesn't update /etc during normal
operation.

> I specified that: settings are overridden, the file in /run is not
> masked. Whether you want to append the nameserver list or override the
> one from /run should probably be specified. I'd say override, since
> appending can easily lead to security breaches.

The only difference here between using resolvconf and this setup is that
instead of having the configuration be specified in the /etc/resolv.conf
file or symlink, it's specified in the resolver.

> In that case, feel free to provide a framework for packages to
> coordinate updates to /run/resolv.conf and have stacking and whatnot.
> (They could write to /run/resolv.conf.d/$num_$basename and resolvconf
> or a similar tool could build a /run/resolv.conf from that.)

This is already what resolvconf does. It has information on interface
primacy (/etc/resolvconf/interface order), knows how many nameservers it
is useful to have in /etc/resolv.conf.

This message brought to you by weapons of mass destruction related
program activities, and the letter G.