Re: boot ordering and resolvconf

Don Armstrong wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jul 2013, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
Automatic processes overwrite explicit admin setups.

If /etc/resolv.conf is a symlink to somewhere else, then it's
appropriate for automatic processes to override it by writing to
"somewhere else". If it's not a symlink, then it shouldn't be
overridden.

That seems pretty plain, but Ubuntu/Networkmanager routinely ignore this fact.

I'm a bit surprised that this conversation still needs to happen today. It was a constant annoyance when I was using Ubuntu. (I finally switched to Arch back in January this year.)

Networkmanager seems to have been the root of most of my complaints; its authors seem to believe that their code knows better than a machine's sysadmin how the machine should be operated.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2008-September/msg00189.html

The sensible thing to do is let something like dnsmasq do all resolver management. I first proposed this change ~5 years ago

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2008-September/msg00042.html

It's a topic that comes up perennially.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2009-April/msg00157.html

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2011-January/msg00020.html

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2012-April/msg00072.html

Providing solutions for other tools, e.g. dhclient or pppd is pretty trivial too.

http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2009q2/003009.html

We're well into the 2nd decade of the 21st century. These problems shouldn't exist any more.

--
  -- Howard Chu