Recommend documentation

I have noticed that a number of packages tend to recommend documentation,
which is then by default normally installed.
Is there a policy for that?

See for example #648443

Using dpkg I found a number of latex -doc packages installed with
recommends for the total size of 694MB.

The policy states:
> Recommends
> This declares a strong, but not absolute, dependency.
> The Recommends field should list packages that would be found together
with this one in all but
> unusual installations.

Are they to be considered bugs? Which priority should they have?

Personally I find the practice of recommending packages without a strong
reason to be bad, what it usually does is to lead people who don't have
lots of space (such as me on some other machines) to disable the automatic
installation of recommended packages, then leading to problems in the cases
when the recommend actually had a reason to be there. But what I want to know
is if there is a way those should be handled.

Bye

--
Salvo Tomaselli

http://web.student.chalmers.se/~saltom/