Re: wrong configuration in daemon

In data domenica 16 giugno 2013 18.39.46, Luca Filipozzi ha scritto:
> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 08:28:18PM +0200, Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> > I have a question concerning a bugreport I got, but that could be quite
> > general.
> >
> > Let's say a daemon provides POP and IMAP, and is configured to provide
> > both, in a pop.conf and imap.conf.
> >
> > How should the daemon ideally fail in case one of the two configuration
> > files is incorrect but the other is fine?
> >
> > Should it log the situation and start the service that it's able to start?
> > Or should it just not start at all?
>
> If it's a single process that listens on two ports (POP & IMAP) then I would
> not start at all.

> A system administrator is likely to interpret that a running process
> indicates success start.  What would trigger him to check that the process
> is listening on both ports.

Yes I thought so, but on the other hand, it might be better for the overall
system to still run some services than none at all.

Anyway I guess I'll see the code and send a patch upstream for that, and see
what happens.

> Also, in the start up script, how would you indicate that the daemon is
> 'half started'.
You couldn't, you would just hope that the administrator should go through the
logs once he notices that one specific service is not working properly.

--
Salvo Tomaselli

http://web.student.chalmers.se/~saltom/