Re: Survey answers part 1: systemd has too many dependencies, …

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> wrote:

> ]] Thomas Goirand
>
> > If what you say above is right (I have no opinion on that yet, I just
> > trust what you say), then this renders the "systemd is modular" argument
> > completely useless, because practically, the user wont be able to
> > choose. Which is why I was asking specifically Michael about this, since
> > he raised the fact that systemd is modular and components can be disabled.
>
> The primary point about the modularity is to limit what happens in init
> itself, not to have optional modules if it can be avoided.
>
> > So my original question to Michael remains: what component should be
> > activated by default, which one could be optional, and how can these
> > options be enabled or disabled. I've heard about journald. which seems
> > controversial (I also don't have any option about it myself yet). Could
> > this one be optional, and not activated by default for example? What are
> > the systemd maintainers opinion about it?
>
> I believe I already answered this, so I'm not sure why you're asking
> again.

Tollef, it is still unclear to me as well.

You said:

> I'd like to align with upstream here (and in general): If upstream says
> a component is optional, that's a configuration I'd in general want to
> support.  If upstream says a component is not optional, well, then I'm
> unlikely to go to the effort of making it optional.

and if I match this with the table at: http://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/docs/systemd-dependencies.html I get the result that you will _not_ compile systemd with:

libselinux.so
libpam.so
libwrap.so
libaudit.so
libkmod.so

because they are marked as optional in the table.

Is that true or not? I am quite lost, because wheezy systemd package has these dependencies:

Depends: libacl1 (>= 2.2.51-8), libaudit0 (>= 1.7.13), libc6 (>= 2.11), libcap2 (>= 2.10), libcryptsetup4 (>= 2:1.4), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.1.1), libkmod2 (>= 5~), liblzma5 (>= 5.1.1alpha+20120614), libpam0g (>= 0.99.7.1), libselinux1 (>= 2.0.65), libsystemd-daemon0 (>= 31), libsystemd-id128-0 (>= 38), libsystemd-journal0 (>= 38), libsystemd-login0 (>= 38), libudev0 (>= 172), libwrap0 (>= 7.6-4~), util-linux (>= 2.19.1-2), initscripts (>= 2.88dsf-17), udev

And this list include all of them.

So either the webpage "optional" means a different thing than upstream "optional" or the future-to-be PID1 package will not include these dependencies.

Can you please clarify?

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>