Re: Survey answers part 1: systemd has too many dependencies, …

On 06/11/2013 02:23 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2013, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>>> I don’t understand the intention behind that question. Could you clarify
>>> so that I can give a proper answer please?
>>
>> Let's say you decide. Let's say you set systemd by default in Debian.
>>
>> Then which component would you install, and activate by default? Which
>> component will you make only installable if the user decides to do it
>> actively (for example using apt-get install)?
>
> That is an uninteresting option.  There is no way we can afford to have two
> different sets of features for PID 1 under the same name in Debian without
> it causing support trouble we don't need.  So, please assume that every
> "optional" PID 1 feature of systemd will be compiled in, and that only stuff
> that can be disabled at runtime might be disabled.

If what you say above is right (I have no opinion on that yet, I just
trust what you say), then this renders the "systemd is modular" argument
completely useless, because practically, the user wont be able to
choose. Which is why I was asking specifically Michael about this, since
he raised the fact that systemd is modular and components can be disabled.

So my original question to Michael remains: what component should be
activated by default, which one could be optional, and how can these
options be enabled or disabled. I've heard about journald. which seems
controversial (I also don't have any option about it myself yet). Could
this one be optional, and not activated by default for example? What are
the systemd maintainers opinion about it?

Thomas