Re: Survey answers part 1: systemd has too many dependencies, …

]] Thomas Goirand

> If what you say above is right (I have no opinion on that yet, I just
> trust what you say), then this renders the "systemd is modular" argument
> completely useless, because practically, the user wont be able to
> choose. Which is why I was asking specifically Michael about this, since
> he raised the fact that systemd is modular and components can be disabled.

The primary point about the modularity is to limit what happens in init
itself, not to have optional modules if it can be avoided.

> So my original question to Michael remains: what component should be
> activated by default, which one could be optional, and how can these
> options be enabled or disabled. I've heard about journald. which seems
> controversial (I also don't have any option about it myself yet). Could
> this one be optional, and not activated by default for example? What are
> the systemd maintainers opinion about it?

I believe I already answered this, so I'm not sure why you're asking
again.

--
Tollef Fog Heen, with his systemd maintainer hat on