Re: default MTA

Le 30/05/2013 18:29, Marc Haber a écrit :
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:56:02 +0200, Olav Vitters <olav@vitters.nl>
> wrote:
>> Seems the solutions are very focussed on the assumption that things
>> cannot be changed. E.g. programs currently send email, so email it has
>> to be forever.
>
> It is not a good idea to drop the way that > 90 % of programs use to
> deliver messages. I really hate the idea of having a thing as fragile
> as dbus on a server just to collect status messages.

73.6% of all statistics are made up. And in my experience, email tends
to be much more fragile than dbus. How many times have I suddenly looked
at the queue of a computer that has been mis-configured and that
accumulated thousands of email from its system trying to repeatedly warn
the user that, well, the email smarthost cannot be contacted?

The way most programs deliver messages is actually syslog. The most
important of them being the kernel. We've been over it several times. As
far as I know, the kernel does not send emails.

Exaggerating this way just removes credit from all your mails. I can see
you are passionate about this issue (and several others), but this does
not help.

Most logs I receive on my email account come from cron (also a few from
the fetchmail daemon, but I suppose that one can live with sending local
emails, due to its nature). And I use a large variety of services. By
the way, parts of cron can even be replaced by systemd's services, and
at this point this will use whatever system for information transmission
systemd uses (I do not use systemd, I am not interested yet in knowing
how information is conveyed in systemd to the user or admin; I doubt
this is email).

A utility to scan syslog and convey important information to the user
would be much more useful than configuring all mailers in Debian to read
root's local mail by default. I know how to redirect root's mail
elsewhere, thank you for not making another mail account to check.

Sincerly,
Jean-Christophe Dubacq