Re: Switching to mozilla ESR in stable-security

On 2013-05-29 20:50, Josh Triplett wrote:
As a user of sid who also maintains various systems running stable, I
rely on packages like xul-ext-adblock-plus to make it easier to install
specific addons systemwide.  I find it much easier to install those via
the Debian packaging system rather than a user-level mechanism that
involves running Firefox as one or more target users (or more likely
doing the equivalent of creating a xul-ext-* package for local use).  I
realize that you can't maintain the full library of Firefox addons as
packages, but I'm hoping that some of the most common and popular ones
stick around and stay up to date, notably Adblock Plus, HTTPS
Everywhere, and It's All Text.

It was pointed out to me that Chrome supports policy definitions[1] where administrators can force certain extensions to be installed[2] and up-to-date. Now it might or might not make sense for packages to simply ship such a policy file, but at least it would provide a way for the administrator to have the same result. But I guess the Mozilla family does not support this yet?

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[1] http://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3
[2] /www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#ExtensionInstallForcelist