Re: systemd .service file conversion

Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> I have tried systemd, and I like the approach it has, and in a few years I
> believe it has potential. But... using it to restart my computer i need to do
> an hard reset (and think of how happy would I be if my computer had been a
> server in a rack on the other side of the planet), and gave me several
> problems related to switching from X11 to vt and vice versa.

Do you have any reason at all to believe that these were problems with
systemd, rather than problems in Debian configuration or mostly
independent bugs in other software that happened to trigger under
systemd? Most likely the init that works most reliably in Debian for
basic tasks like booting up a common default system and rebooting is
still sysvinit. But that's not because of any positive quality of
sysvinit, but rather because a lot of effort has been spent to paper
over any problems.

ANY init system can be tweaked to be able boot up and reboot a simple
default system. That's not a relevant criterion to choose between them.
If boot fails completely, in most cases that just demonstrates a lack of
final polish. To make meaningful comparisons between systems, you need
to at least see whether there are more fundamental problems underlying
the failures, or why fixing or working around them takes more effort
with some system.

> On a side note about Poettering, sometimes pulseaudio gets pulled in by some
> package that I install, and when this happens I stop hearing sounds from my
> computer, then I know I just need to remove it and everything will be fine

I don't think PulseAudio works as an argument against him. See this mail
for more details:
https://lists.debian.org/<1354241767.1887.76.camel@glyph.nonexistent.invalid>