Re: Source build-dependencies

On Thu, 16 May 2013 16:58:13 +0200, Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 08:50:39 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > >
> > > How so?
> >
> > In my case, I already have metapackages for each system, so I can just
> > add foo:build-deps to the Depends for those, instead of building fake
> > packages with mk-build-deps.
>
> One of the problems with mk-build-deps is that the created packages
> need manual rebuilds whenever the Build-Depends change.
>
> It's not clear to me from what has been written in this sub-thread, if
> we are talking about magic srcpkg:build-deps substvars to be expanded
> at build time, or if those are supposed to be valid package specifiers
> that are expanded at run-time (ending up in Depends lines unexpanded,
> for example), or something else.

As I understand it (and what I'd like) is just the possibility of specifying
source packages rather than binary packages as build-dependencies. So for
instance in my gcc-mingw-w64 package's control file, instead of specifying

	Build-Depends: ..., gcc-4.6-source, ...

I'd specify

	Build-Depends: ..., gcc-4.6:source, ...

Because gcc-4.6-source pulls in dependencies that the gcc-mingw-w64 package
also needs, I'd also need to add those; it would be easier then to specify

	Build-Depends: ..., gcc-4.6:source, gcc-4.6:build-deps, ...

instead, since gcc-4.6-source's dependencies are a subset of gcc-4.6's
build-dependencies, and I'd rather not have to always change my package when
the latter change.

The only substvar-type treatment which would be useful then would be
something to fill in Built-Using automatically.

Regards,

Stephen