Re: default MTA

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 05:11:35PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 29 mai 2013 à 16:31 +0200, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino a
> écrit :
> > Take for example, smartmoontools [1]. Currently, if an end-user
> > installs smartmoontools and a hard-disk fails (i.e. smartd detects a
> > problem with one HD) he will *not* see any notification: the failure
> > is sent through local e-mail.
>
> He will see a notification on his desktop. Clear, understandable and
> translated in his configured language:
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-disk-utility/tree/src/notify/gdusdmonitor.c
> (The code is different but already here in squeeze and wheezy.)

What you propose requires:
* adding desktop environment specific code to every facility that may need
  to send notifications
* adding such notifications to every other desktop environment
* coming up with a way to send such notifications remotely

All of that is already solved by e-mail.

> I don’t see why he would need to see it again in a cryptic English
> e-mail.

Messages can be translated, you know.

> You are really looking for a solution to a nonexistent problem.

I wouldn't call important system messages not getting delivered a
nonexistant problem -- this tends to end up with serious data loss.  And the
solution exists for > 30 years, there's no point in NIH alternatives.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ