Accurate diagnostics

On Mon, 2013-05-27 at 10:19 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2013-05-27 09:04:53 +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> > I think I have never said the word "abuse", just "tiresome". The "I see a
> > warning from ucf, let's fill a bug on php5-common" finally overflew my cup
> > of patience (what is the correct english idiom for this?).
>
> If you think you are distracted by some bug reports, end users
> are also distracted by debug messages (which are not clearly
> debug messages) in the terminal.

Worse are warnings that always appear because either an application
really is doing something wrong (many Gtk apps trigger such warnings) or
the warning condition is wrong.  The typical response to a report of
such a bug will be 'oh, that's harmless', but then if a user ignored
warnings for some time before reporting a bug the reponse will be 'why
did you ignore that?!'

We should be careful to give accurate diagnostic messages; otherwise we
will train users to ignore them.  And that can certainly lead to data
loss.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.