Re: "Blacklists" in BTS (stopping the trolls and bug machines)

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> On Sat, 2013-05-25 at 10:41 +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:

>> I have no big problem pointing fingers on d-d.
>>
>> Example 1: Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org>

> Often writes poor bug reports, but is not abusive.

And his bug reports have gotten better and better over the years.

I am horrified what his bugreports were before the years, if those I have just shown are "better" :).

He
still files all upstream bugs with Debian, but I can't throw stones there;
I tend to do the same thing myself, since Debian has such a nice and
consistent bug reporting interface and upstream's usually... isn't.  :)

He files lots and lots of minor/wishlist bugs, but that isn't abuse.  He's
one of the few people who regularly files bugs when he finds unclear or
confusing documentation, and while that results in a lot of small bugs
(and a lot of bugs that are really upstream bugs), I think that's also a
valuable *type* of bug that frequently doesn't get enough attention.

I think I have never said the word "abuse", just "tiresome". The "I see a warning from ucf, let's fill a bug on php5-common" finally overflew my cup of patience (what is the correct english idiom for this?).

I have an idea – maybe we could have a pseudo-package called "please-improve" (or whatever name we pick), where people can reassign bugreports which they feel they are unable to handle. This pseudo-bug would be monitored by some virtuous people[*] better in handling poor bugreports and they would work with submitter to improve the bug report, and then reassign it back.

This might be similar to what I have seen in Launchpad – there's a bugsquad team that can handle all bugreports in just any package[1][2].

* - if we can find such people somewhere, but I am quite sure there are some :).

1. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs
2. https://launchpad.net/~bugsquad

O.
--