Re: Automated piuparts when entering the archive (Was: Debian development and release: always releasable (essay))

Hi,

On Dienstag, 21. Mai 2013, Bastian Blank wrote:
> What problem are you trying to solve? What percentage of packages is
> currently broken? Please specify the false positive and false negative
> rates of all tests involved, especially the ones you propose without
> supervision.

the archive is currently in pretty good shape in regards to piuparts testing
(check sid, wheezy and jessie on http://piuparts.debian.org - there are very
little failures found), but this is also because Andreas has been filing lots
of bugs in the last year. (And of course also due to you all doing a great job
maintaining all the software! Kudos!)

So my first reaction too was to say that there are better areas of
optimisation. But on a second thought I don't think so anymore: clearly it's
better to (_automatically_) prevent bad packages to enter the archive in the
first place, than having them enter and then automatically checked and
manually kept out (of testing) by filing a bug manually.

While this does scale currently, cause the archive is reasonable clean by now
(it wasnt five years ago), this wont scale forever, as the people doing this
manual bug filing will burn out. So we should automate things we can.

As you asked for numbers, here is one: there are 167 piuparts failures in sid
today. Thats 167 bugs to file (if they werent already). Which wouldnt have to
be filed if these packages would not have entered in the first place.

cheers,
	Holger