Automated piuparts when entering the archive (Was: Debian development and release: always releasable (essay))

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 3:15 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>
>> So apart from the more hands on some packages with high priority, it
>> would really help me to have some automated tests which would be run
>> before uploading to testing.
>>
>> One thing which immediatelly comes to the mind is the install & upgrade test.
>>
>> 1. install every built package
>> 2. try upgrade from stable for every built package
>> 3. try upgrade from testing for every built package
>> 4. try upgrade from unstable for every built package
>
> Perhaps you missed the existence of piuparts.d.o?
>
> http://piuparts.debian.org/
>
> Failures of installation in sid are advertised on the PTS, we are
> hoping to extend this to the other tests soon (#696094).

Nope, I know about piuparts, but:

1. some packages and some transitions are more complicated.  Bundle
db4.7->db5.3 transition with cyrus-imapd-2.2->cyrus-imapd-2.4 and I am
quite sure that "installation in sid" is not enough.

2. I would like to see these tests to be run BEFORE the package enters
the archive, and failures would prevent the package to enter.

>> Optionally:
>> 5. do some testing with all r-deps (treeish?)
>
> We don't yet have any systems running autopkgtest, but Ubuntu does so
> you could look at their instance. In the meantime check out DEP-8:
>
> http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep8/

Thanks, I will check it, but from quick glance the tests must be
written by hand, which combined with my constant lack of time is a
no-go (not complaining, just stating the fact). Anyway it might be a
good material for new volunteers *grin*.

> Other tests may be suitable for the Debian Jenkins instance:
>
> http://jenkins.debian.net/

I am thinking about running instance of Debian Jenkins myself, but
again I would have to even a fully automated
"all-possible-non-conflicting-combinations-of-packages-installation-and-upgrades-from-stable-testing-and-sid"
testing automaton would be a great help to start.

Even finishing this page:
http://wiki.debian.org/piuparts#Howto_setup_a_piuparts_test-instance_for_development
would help

Ondrej