Re: Switching default dpkg-deb compressor to xz

On 05/14/2013 10:53 PM, John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell wrote:

Ben what basis do you have against .gz ?

It was already mentioned, it takes more space. Everyone (e.g. Fedora with rpm) is switching to xz, not just Debian. The Linux kernel is using more advanced compression algorithms as well.

What problem are you having with xz?

And I'd love to know if it won't cause dependancy problems when someone
has more than one debian they are dealing with.

Yes, of course, we need to support every single configuration and every possible choice of preferred software again, meaning we are doomed to stick to old stuff again.

Really, is this argument going to be brought up forever? So if we can't make everyone 100% happy, we shouldn't do anything at all?

This isn't an argument anymore, it has become an idiotic circle jerk. Stop it, I am getting tired of that!

I doubt it's as simple as stated.

It is. We are already actively using it and you aren't even noticing. I have sponsored at least half a dozen packages recently which were using xz compression. No problems and no bugs reported at all with them.

If you like, I can verify them to work on my 1993 Amiga 1200, on my 1995 Sun Ultra 1, on my PowerMac G4 and my Raspberry Pi, just to make sure it really works for everyone!

And yes I do think there are some that would inject problems (such as
killing init for a new startup that isn't compatible).

Dude, if you want to stick to 1985 technology, just use something else. We don't have and don't want to be compatible to the original(R) Unix(TM) because the original Unix is a piece of shit.

Have you ever sat in front of some ancient Sun, HP-UX or OSF/1 workstation using the original pure Unix design? It's so cumbersome and uncomfortable to use, it makes you throw up. I had to deal with plenty of these beasts in my career and I was always happy once I were back to my Linux box. If you are using one of these, you can forget nearly everything you ever learnt about Unix from Linux. It probably won't work.

If we are losing compatibility with old Unix stuff because we're introducing new stuff to Linux and Debian, I can only say "god riddance!".

The "Unix Hater's Handbook" exists for a reason. I honestly think that everyone who praises the good old Unix design has never actually used any of the original Unices, they wouldn't praise them otherwise.

There are all kinds of proposals continually that are unwise.  And this
one has been complained against and re-submitted often already.

Please provide viable sources, thank you.

So why shouldn't I repeat past complaints others have made on previous
posts.

I don't know, but I think you shouldn't. Progress will happen anyways.

I think your singling me out.

My singling what?

</end of rant>

Cheers,