Re: parsable copyright format 1.0 (jessie release goals)

* Sune Vuorela <nospam@vuorela.dk> [130512 12:43]:
> It is too much work for far too little gain. What *is* the gain?
> What is the gain of copyright files?

One big gain of a copyright file is the act of doing it.

For software to be distributable every copyright owner has to have
given his permission. To know that you have all those permissions,
you first need to know who those people actually are.
It also documents our reasonable exercises to reach our believe
that this is distributable.
I'd guess in some legislations such efford can make the difference
between "just distribute it no more" and "pay for every copy that
was made".

        Bernhard R. Link