Re: systemd^wfoo on linux, bar on bsd,so what (Re: /bin/sh

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> No matter what the technical merits, the inevitable flame war regarding
> copyright assignment seems very likely to render upstart a non-starter
> as an essential element of Debian.

Debian already uses many packages as part of its essential set that
require copyright assignments.  coreutils springs immediately to mind.  I
realize some people see a distinction between assigning copyright to the
FSF and assigning copyright to Canonical, but I think the distinction is
relatively fine, and certainly not strong enough alone to make it a
non-starter, at least IMO.

When evaluating relative merits, I think the relative sizes of the
development communities and the integration with other important
subsystems (like desktop environments) are more relevant reasons to be
concerned about upstart compared to systemd.