Re: systemd^wfoo on linux, bar on bsd,so what (Re: /bin/sh

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:14:58AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> When evaluating relative merits, I think the relative sizes of the
> development communities and the integration with other important
> subsystems (like desktop environments) are more relevant reasons to be
> concerned about upstart compared to systemd.

For the record, the "integration with desktop environments" argument is a
red herring, deliberately advanced to sow confusion.  The only relevant
integration between systemd and GNOME is at the level of dbus services,
which are severable from the init system - as has been done in Ubuntu.

Replacing consolekit with logind is an eminently sane thing to do, and we
should definitely adopt this in Debian.  But logind being bundled with
systemd source is no more an argument for adopting systemd as an init system
than the embracing and extending of udev is.