Re: jessie release goals

+++ Daniel Schepler [2013-05-12 09:19 -0700]:
>    On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Matthias Klose <[1]doko@debian.org>
>    wrote:
>
>      �- find a solution that GCC's b-d's may not be installable anymore with
>      � �the current approach to binNMUs.
>
>    OK, that's a good point that I hadn't thought of before.� So, it does make
>    sense to keep libc6-i386 and lib32gcc1 if only for cross-architecture
>    version skew issues.� But I also think for most users it would make sense
>    to allow for the option of satisfying gcc-multilib's dependencies using
>    multiarch,

There is already some support for this in the gcc packaging runes,
resulting from merging Thibaut Girka's GSOC work from last year:
set with_deps_on_target_arch_pkgs=yes
i.e. you build the cross-toolchain like this:
DEB_TARGET_ARCH=<arch> DEB_CROSS_NO_BIARCH=yes with_deps_on_target_arch_pkgs=yes dpkg-buildpackage -d -T control
DEB_TARGET_ARCH=<arch> DEB_CROSS_NO_BIARCH=yes with_deps_on_target_arch_pkgs=yes dpkg-buildpackage -b

I'm not sure if that is exactly the same thing as you are talking
about here?

>    and to make this the default option on multiarch systems.�
>    Though that would probably involve adding alternatives somewhere which
>    might be more trouble than it's worth...

Wookey
http://wookware.org/