Re: jessie release goals

Am 12.05.2013 16:18, schrieb Daniel Schepler:
> Maybe we could have a release goal of dropping as many lib32* and lib64*
> packages as possible in favor of multi-arch.  (And also as many package
> dependencies on libc6-[i386|amd64] as possible, which would in addition
> mean limiting some packages to arch:i386 if they currently provide a fake
> arch:amd64 package with an i386 binary.)
>
> Of course, to completely get rid of everything including libc6-* and
> lib32gcc1, etc., we'd need special configuration on the buildds to continue
> building gcc with multilib support; and the GCC maintainer has expressed
> resistance to being that radical even if we could get this buildd support.

Well, GCC should keep building with a sane amount of effort.  And that currently
means not depending on a "foreign" architecture on the buildds.  So before this
can happen:

 - get dpkg ready to accept b-d's on foreign architectures.

 - get GCC ready to search for gcc_lib_dir for foreign multilibs.
   and get this submitted upstream before getting it to the Debian
   packages.

 - find a solution for multilibs which are not fully supported architectures,
   but only partial ports, or ports maintained outside the archive.

 - get the buildd infrastructure ready.

 - find a solution that GCC's b-d's may not be installable anymore with
   the current approach to binNMUs.

It is wrong to drop the current multilib support before these are implemented
and in place.

So what do you commit to work on?

I don't think that there are that many packages where you can or should drop
multilib support.  So it would be wrong to drop multilib support for zlib (GCC,
gdb), ncurses, readline, expat (gdb) now.  And there are not that many more
packages providing multilib support.

  Matthias