Re: jessie release goals

Hi Vincent,

Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> writes:
> I agree for these services (though Apache is useless after just
> being installed, as one just has a dummy web page). But not for
> postfix, which can reject mail by default without an initial
> configuration. Since it is not working by default, and loses
> mail, the daemon shouldn't be enabled by default.

I don't know about you, but I find it quite reassuring to be able to
confirm that the first half of an install is going pretty well when I
get to see the "useless" dummy page from Apache.  I'd imagine someone
installing their first web server would also find that reassuring (I
still remember grinning broadly when first seeing it).  If it were also
their first Debian server, then forcing them to find an extra ON switch
after installing apache just seems like an extra and unneeded barrier.

I think that anyone that needs to bring up a mail server on an IP
address that is being battered by important mail is going to need to be
aware of _many_ of the assumptions behind the software they use,
including this one.

The "should it run on install?" question is a matter of taste and
judgement, which is why it is not the case with rsyncd.

The current state of rsyncd is probably my fault (as initial packager of
rsync). One _could_ have an rsyncd package, containing just a commented
out example /etc/rsyncd.conf and the init.d script, but I don't really
see the point.  If ...ENABLE=false settings are banned in defaults files
(as I've come to think they should be) then in the case of rsyncd, one
could make the running of the daemon conditional on the existence of the
$RSYNC_CONFIG_FILE file (which is not shipped in the package).

The RedHat assumptions on this issue make me as unhappy as the Debian
ones appear to make you unhappy.  I suggest that this is just a matter
of taste.

If you'd prefer a coffee, it does little good to complain about the
taste of the drinks on offer from our tea appreciation society.

Cheers, Phil.