Re: DPA instead of PPA

Le Thu, May 09, 2013 at 08:38:02AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 08 May 2013, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > I actually really like this idea! (Though I suggest "Debian Personal
> > Archive".)
> >
> > It's really different from what people know as PPAs.
>
> To be fair, "Personal" is probably not relevant either. I expect many of
> those repositories to be maintained by teams.
>
> DSPA = Debian Special Purpose Archive
> DSPR = Debian Special Purpose Repository
> DASP = Debian Archive of Special Packages
> SPA = Special Package Archive

Hi all,

Fist of all, many thanks to Joerg and the FTP team to push this project
forward.  I find it exciting and innovative and I like that it is not simply
reproducing Ubuntu's PPAs, but rather aims at providing a direct benefit to
Debian's development in general.  For this reason, I also recommend to avoid
using "PPA" in the name.

About the names discussed by Raphael and others, I also think that "personal"
does not reflect well the goals suggested for "PPAMAIN".  Keywords like
"Special", "Project", etc., sound to me more to the point.

For "SPA" in particular, I think that would trigger puns in French, as is the
name of a society that, among others, takes care of abandonned animals.

Also, since PPAMAIN will be embedded in the Debian archive, maybe there is no
need to repeat "Debian" in its name.

I also would like to recommend to call these repositories in a way that shows
directly how they are integrated in the archive.  For instance "distribution"
if it is one more entry in "/dists", and "area" or "pool" if it is one more
entry in "/pool".

Have a nice day,

--
Charles

PS: the bikeshed of the building where I live was repainted last year, and I
    did not propose a new color :)