Re: Debian 7

Wheezy user here!!  The best Debian thus far!  Will not trust my machine to any other!

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 8:58 PM, Shyamal Prasad <shyamal@member.fsf.org> wrote:

    Darac> On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 01:49:56AM +1030, Mikael Livchenko wrote:

    >> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
    >>
    >> "Debian wheezy -- Installation Guide"
    >>
    >> What is Debian wheezy? I only downloaded 'Debian 7'.

    Darac> Wheezy is a brand. It's not really any different than "Snow
    Darac> Leopard" or "XP". Do you expect people to care that one is
    Darac> "10.6.8" and the other "5.1.2600"?

Mikael makes a good point even if the tone in the rest of his email was
totally uncalled for (and, IMHO, plain wrong - mailing lists rule,
dude!).

Debian does not need to follow the stupidity that Apple and Microsoft
have blessed us with. Call it "Wheezy."  Or call it "Debian 7.0."  Or
even "Debian 7.0/Wheezy."  But not two different names, both seemingly
randomly used in different parts of the same documentation chain, for
the same stable release. It brings no value to anyone who is not
intimately familiar with the development process (i.e. users).

I've used and evangalized Debian for over 15 years now, and I believe
this is the one complaint that never seems to go away! Though that only
goes to show what an awesome distribution it is :-)

Cheers (and congratulations to y'all on releasing Wheezy)!
Shyamal