Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

On May 08, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> If we force a much bigger /, the chance of a broken / filesystem
> increases. If / is fine, one has a chance to fix the system without
> booting to rescue. So, a small / both decreases the probability of a
> boot failure and makes fixing breakage easier.
>
> If we change our software so that the system never gets beyond initrd
> stage if mount /usr fails, we increase the change of breaking boot
> because _two_ filesystems need to be fine and mounted before we leave
> initrd.
This is not relevant for what we are talking about because /usr *will*
be required be available to boot the system no matter where the files
currently in /{bin,sbin,lib} will end up.

If your goal is to have the smallest and least accessed file system
available for recovery then I recommend that you create a 200-250 MB
/boot and install grml-rescueboot.

--
ciao,
Marco