Re: Debian 7

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 04:56:00PM +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 01:49:56AM +1030, Mikael Livchenko wrote:
> >    Debian developers have allot to learn
> >
> >    still in 2013 the documentation is flawed from the very first line.
> >
> >    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
> >
> >    "Debian wheezy -- Installation Guide"
> >
> >    What is Debian wheezy? I only downloaded 'Debian 7'.
> >    wheezy is a nick name? where is it defined from the point of download? I
> >    cannot see it.
> >    I am guessing it is a nick name, but how many other people will know this?
>
> Wheezy. It's obvious, isn't it? It comes between Squeeze and Jessie.
> </sarcasm>
>
> Wheezy is a brand.
[...]

No, it really isn't.  Everything on the front page of www.debian.org
refers to 'Debian 7.0' (with 'wheezy' as a secondary identifier in
one place).

All our formal documentation should identify stable releases by number
and then optionally by codename.  For the testing suite (i.e. pre-
release), using the codename alone is more appropriate.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus