Re: jessie release goals

On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 02:38:07PM +0200, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> Hi Wookey,

> On Tue, 7 May 2013 03:04:50 +0100, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
> > (just a decision to leave arch-independent headers in /usr/include and
> > move arch-dependent headers to /usr/include/triplet).

> Doesn't this limit us to cross-compiling only across Debian architectures? If
> we go for a full /usr/include/triplet split (in the same way as for
> libraries) we could support cross-compiling to anything with the same
> structure

If having your architecture-independent headers in /usr/include is limiting
your cross-compilation, then surely those headers are not actually
architecture-independent.

In general, this model is only intended for use with packages which are
multiarch-compatible; which means that you have to have the packages
installed at the same version across all architectures, regardless.  Targets
for which we have no Debian architecture obviously can't be multiarch
co-installable.  That doesn't mean we couldn't provide partial architectures
for them in the future that would allow multiarch installation, but for the
time being such targets seem to need to use the traditional cross-toolchain
layout.