Re: Doubts about PPA in Debian

]] Brian May

> On 7 May 2013 17:03, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Now, if I had PPA, then I could follow upstream release cycles. Every 6
> > months, I would destroy the PPA for OpenStack stable -2, and create a
> > new stable PPA. I could put all the backport software I need in there.
> > No need to worry anymore about the release cycles not in sync with what
> > we do in Debian. Since most things are Python, I could still continue to
> > upload the modules into SID (or Experimental during the freeze), and as
> > the brilliant plan for the Debian PPA will not add duplication, it will
> > be "for free", just giving a list of packages that I wish to import.
> >

> In what way would this be better then using Debian Backports?

Providing backports doesn't free you from the burden of making sure
upgrades work.  Thomas is facing a very large chunk of work to make sure
upgrades from the no-longer-supported E release to whatever might be in
jessie, since upstream breaks APIs and doesn't support skipping releases
when upgrading.

>From what I've understood from upstreams in the openstack community,
something like the ppamain concept would be welcome.

--
Tollef Fog Heen