Re: jessie release goals

On 06-05-13 14:49, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now might be the right time to start a discussion about release goals
> for jessie. Here are some points that come into my mind right now (and
> some were already discussed very recently):
>
> * multiarch compatible binNMUs
> * discarding maintainer uploaded binary packages [!arch:all]
> * discarding maintainer uploaded binary packages [incl. arch:all]
> * extending binNMUs to allow rebuilding arch:all packages (so it's no
> longer a "binary only" but a sourceful no-change rebuild - the classic
> binNMU should stay of course)

I would like to see the elimination of "ENABLE"-style variables in
/etc/default snippets, to enable or disable initscripts, as a jessie
release goal.

These things are ugly, annoying hacks that try to work around the fact
that we can't ship initscripts which don't run at install time and/or
aren't enabled by default.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/