Re: git as a source package format?
On Wednesday, May 01, 2013 09:28:10 PM Daniel Pocock wrote:
> Would there be any hard objection to a source package format based on
while I'm a big fan of Git, I don't see that much gain in a git based source
package format. I also assume that it would be a lot of work to change the
Debian infrastructure in that way.
But I see a lot of benefit in the following smaller steps towards more usage of
- Standardize our workflow, see this discussion:
- If upstream uses Git, keep the upstream history as a branch in the Git
- Standardize the management of patches.
- Let dak commit all uploaded versions of packages to Git, see:
- Introduce an alternative to ftp uploads based on signed git tags:
Maintainers can push a signed git tag to alioth and the Debian infrastructure
will start to build the package. I have not yet thought that much about this
point and it doesn't seem too important to me. But it would be a nice
- The last point requires the following wishlist issue to be fixed in pristine-
- Convince more maintainers to use Git (instead of SVN):
Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro