Re: git as a source package format?

On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 12:11:23PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> > The fact is that Debian does not make much effort to ensure that we do not
> > distribute unredistributable files in our mirrors and installation media, once
> > a package has passed its first copyright and license review.
>
> That is simply not true, every developer is responsible for checking
> this before every upload, to NEW or directly to unstable. I don't know
> about you or the rest of Debian but I certainly take this
> responsibility seriously and perform this very necessary action.

And even if it were true then how should that first copyright and
license review work with git format? Do you expect ftp-master to audit
every single commit?

After the initial upload subsequent uploads are easier to check since
only the "diff" to the previous one needs to be considered. Still with
git format that could be a lot of commits.

MfG
	Goswin

PS: For me a debian source package is the compact snapshot of the VCS
repository that was used to build a binary. If I want history I
checkout the VCS.