Re: 2013 sometimes still feels like 2003 or 1993 (Re: NEW processing during freezes

+++ Julian Taylor [2013-05-04 11:48 +0200]:
> On 04.05.2013 11:10, Wookey wrote:
> >
> > I am huge fan of both building in clean environments _and_ being able
> > to build twice. I don't think there is any solution to this other than
> > testing it in an automated fashion. An sbuild or pbuilder option for
> > --build-twice would make testing a very simple matter.
> >

> pbuilder and cowbuilder already support the --twice option since a while.

OK. I didn't know that. Cheers.

Problem is I've moved to sbuild these days, but lucas's patch could
fairly easily be worked up into an sbuild --twice option too.

The harder question is how/when to do that QA. I resisted making the
suggestion of doing it by default on all builds as that seemed a step
too far, although I see someone else did :-). In fact, given the
significant overhead of build-dep installation, build-twice would
actually be quite a small overhead for many smaller packages (and only
needs to be done on one fast arch, not all of them). It would clearly
be annoying for builds that are large/slow anyway, which implies some
kind of exception list, which was kind of the point where I decided
this wasn't going to fly.

I guess if I (or anyone else) gets round to setting up cross-build QA
test builds sometime, then doing --build-twice alongside makes some
sense as it's in a similar class of 'would be nice/ought to work, but
not absolutely vital'. And lucas is quite right that it's probably not
the most important thing to spend time fixing.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/