Re: alternative debian/rules

Neil McGovern <neilm@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:19:48PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>> If you are scared by "echo x | cat - y", that it prevents you from
>> understanding the rules files, then you shouldn't touch the package
>> anyway.

> If you're deliberately obfuscating debian/rules when there's no or very
> little advantage, then you shouldn't be producing the package.

I think you're expressing a bit too much confidence in the universality of
your personal reaction here.  Just because it isn't clear to you doesn't
mean that it's obfuscated, let alone deliberately obfuscated.

I think you have the core of a reasonable point -- it's probably better
for the archive as a whole if we can standardize as much as possible on
packaging tactics since it makes it easier for other people to work on
packages they've not seen before -- but you're applying it a bit too
aggressively to some debian/rules constructs that I would be unsurprised
to see in any package, including ones using dh.