Re: Git packaging workflow discussion on planet.d.o

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 09:11:05AM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 02:25:30PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> > makes a lot of sense. If your packaging workflow does not rely on
> > importing the contents of release tarballs, then for projects like
> > this you miss some content unless you re-run the same release
> > scripts post-facto.
> That was the part I didn't understand.  What are people doing to solve
> this generated files at release problem?   I've solved this as upstream
> and a Debian developer by having tarballs.

Run the dist target and inject the distdir back into git onto a
distribution branch instead of packing it up into a tarball.

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=buildd-tools/schroot.git;a=blob;f=scripts/git-dist.mk

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=buildd-tools/schroot-dist.git;a=summary

Now your entire release and distribution process is entirely
contained within git, with zero intermediary tarballs.  If you
want a tarball, you can just "git archive" a signed distribution
tag (or release tag if you don't want the extra generated bits).
The best bit is that the distributed releases are fully connected
to the git history in the main git repo.  So a downstream user/
distributor can easily backport stuff and push changes upstream
etc.

You could run the "dist" target as part of the package build, but
that's not always possible or desirable.  This makes sure that
every bit of "extra" generated code is part of the git history.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh