Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 16:42:26 +0200
Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 03:36:35PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > It is installable from experimental if the local setup is correct. It's
> > only a change to apt sources and preferences, in a chroot if necessary.
>
> This Debian. It is uninstallable there. And people (NOT ME!) can't install
> it. Which is the point.

Packages in experimental are installable for anyone using Debian, with
the appropriate tweaks to apt config.

Chroots and adapted apt config are perfectly acceptable for Debian -
it's the established method of using experimental.

> Or it even cannot be built.

Packages in experimental can be built trivially when the chroots used
are also tweaked to see experimental.

> It defeats the purpose of experimental when someone who want to use a package
> from there need to go looking up some place where he can get the depencencies
> from.

True but it can be useful in intermediate stages. However, I was only
talking about uploading outside Debian as the last resort, not the
recommended fix and certainly not making packages in experimental
depend on external repos, that's the wrong way around.

> How much do you want to go against Debians policies?

You're misunderstanding what I was trying to get at. Experimental is a
suitable target for this work and when combined with unstable, it needs
to be self-contained - correct.

If a package in experimental needs a dependency, then that dependency
upload also goes into experimental.

The benefit is that if that goes wrong and the packages are
uninstallable then first, that can be fixed in experimental and second,
the RC bug does not affect the release (or other teams).

> > I've worked on quite a few packages with this method over the years,
> > some core stuff like curl, cairo, ldap, cups, etc. and then there's all
> > the cross-build, multiarch stuff which is often dealing with toolchains
> > and low level libraries. Don't lecture me about rdeps and dismiss the
>
> So you uploaded non-bbuildab le, non-installable packages to experimental?
> Oh my.

No. Those I upload to personal reprepro instances, if at all.

We're at cross-purposes here - I'm not advising uploading unfinished or
interim/broken packages to experimental. However, merely using
experimental for uploads during a freeze in no way makes an otherwise
correct package uninstallable or FTBFS. r-deps are just a bit of extra
work but that is *not* insurmountable.

--

Neil Williams