Re: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 15:36:35 +0100
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 15:46:44 +0200
> Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> wrote:

Apologies Rene, got you mixed up with Dirk re the R packages.

The bit about the epoch and the upload was intended for the R
maintainers.

> > On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 02:23:36PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> >
> > It is installable from experimental if the local setup is correct. It's
> > only a change to apt sources and preferences, in a chroot if necessary.
> > How trivial do you want it?
> >
> > All uploads not destined for wheezy go into experimental, all packages
> > in unstable and experimental are available for builds within
> > experimental. New stuff which would break things in unstable goes into
> > experimental. What's so hard about that?
>
> > I am telling about the general case.
> >
> > That your simple toy packages are not affected by this because they don't
> > have as much r-deps as e.g. libreoffice. fine. But that doesn't make
> > the problem go non-existant.

It may require a little preparation, yes, but it clearly does work.

> I've worked on quite a few packages with this method over the years,
> some core stuff like curl, cairo, ldap, cups, etc. and then there's all
> the cross-build, multiarch stuff which is often dealing with toolchains
> and low level libraries. Don't lecture me about rdeps and dismiss the
> advice of your peers as the ramblings of fly-by-night maintainers of
> "toy" packages.

I'm going to stop here before I dig myself an even bigger hole...

--

Neil Williams