Splitting the devscripts package

Hi,

devscripts ships a bunch of scripts to make the life of a Debian Package
maintainer easier. Not every script in there is Debian packaging
specific. Some of them are used on other non-Debian-based distributions.
I was contacted [1] and asked if we could split the Debian packaging
specific scripts from the rest.

I like to keep only Debian packaging specific scripts in devscripts (see
the list below). Where should we put the non Debian packaging specific
scripts? Should we create a neutral project or are there other projects
in which these scripts fit?

Non Debian packaging specific scripts
=====================================

annotate-output [2]
archpath
checkbashisms [2]
licensecheck [2]
manpage-alert [2]
namecheck
suspicious-source
svnpath

Debian packaging specific scripts
=================================

bts (talks to the Debian bug tracker)
build-rdeps (uses APT)
chdist (uses APT)
cowpoke (uses pbuilder)
cvs-debi, cvs-debc (works on .deb packages)
cvs-debrelease
cvs-debuild
dcmd (work on .changes or .dsc files)
dcontrol (works on control files)
dd-list (fiddles with Debian maintainers)
debc (processes .deb files)
debchange/dch (work on changelog files)
debcheckout (downloads Debian source packages)
debclean (works in Debian source trees)
debcommit (uses changelog file)
debdiff (works on .dsc files)
debi (works on Debian packages)
debpkg
debrelease
debsign, debrsign
debsnap
debuild
deb-reversion
dep3changelog
desktop2menu
dget
diff2patches
dpkg-depcheck, dpkg-genbuilddeps
dscextract
dscverify
edit-patch
getbuildlog
grep-excuses
list-unreleased
mass-bug
mergechanges
mk-build-deps
nmudiff
origtargz
plotchangelog
pts-subscribe
rc-alert
rmadison
tagpending
transition-check
uscan
uupdate
what-patch
whodepends
who-uploads
wnpp-alert
wnpp-check
wrap-and-sort

[1] by sochotnicky on Freenode
[2] These scripts are used in rpmdevtools.

--
Benjamin Drung
Debian & Ubuntu Developer