Re: Splitting the devscripts package

On Sat, 2013-03-30 at 22:49 +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> devscripts ships a bunch of scripts to make the life of a Debian Package
> maintainer easier. Not every script in there is Debian packaging
> specific. Some of them are used on other non-Debian-based distributions.
> I was contacted [1] and asked if we could split the Debian packaging
> specific scripts from the rest.
>
> I like to keep only Debian packaging specific scripts in devscripts (see
> the list below). Where should we put the non Debian packaging specific
> scripts? Should we create a neutral project or are there other projects
> in which these scripts fit?

There is no reason why Debian couldn't continue to be upstream for
these, but hosting on freedesktop.org might make them more visible to
other distributions.

[...]
> Debian packaging specific scripts
[...]

These might usefully be further divided into truly Debian-specific and
dpkg/apt-specific, at least in binary packages.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Teamwork is essential - it allows you to blame someone else.