Re: Go (golang) packaging, part 2

Le 30/01/2013 09:55, Paul Wise a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Chow Loong Jin wrote:
>
>> Having multiple package managers which don't know about each other on a system
>> is evil™ (but in some cases, can be managed properly).
>
> Some integration between dpkg and domain-specific package managers
> could be useful. With DEP-11, we could have 'cpan install Foo::Bar'
> tell you "Foo::Bar is available in your distribution's package
> manager, you can install it with apt-get install libfoo-bar-perl.".
>
> Also, GoboLinux apparently have a more advanced system for integration
> between their package manager and others like rubygems/cpan.
> Unfortunately the video for the presentation about it at LCA 2010 was
> lost, but maybe folks who are interested in this could take a look at
> the implementation.

FWIW, in the case of the Yorick language, I have proposed a developed
with upstream a solution which works reasonably well for the Yorick
community:

 - the yorick internal package manager can install (by default) files
either in /usr/local or in the user home directory;

 - Debian packages for an add-on drop a file somewhere under /usr/lib so
that the yorick internal package manager knows what version of which
add-ons are installed and does not unnecessarily install another version
of an add-on for solving a dependency.

However, the internal package manager only knows what is installed, not
what is available, and dpkg of course has no idea of what the yorick
internal package manager has installed.

Kind regards, Thibaut.