Re: Debian logo svg file is not loadable in Inkscape

[ CC: debian-www@lists.debian.org ]

Greetings Jakub,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 06:17:37PM +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org>, 2013-01-24, 17:48:
> >here's how to fix the SVG:
> >
> >1) apt-get install libxml2-utils sgml-data
> >2) xmllint --noent openlogo.svg > openlogo-fixed.svg
> >(Yes it's "noent", not to be confused with "nonet".)
> >3) Optionally, remove the DTD declaration from the resulting file.
>
> The last two steps could be merged into one:
>
> xmllint --dropdtd --noent openlogo.svg > openlogo-fixed.svg

That did the trick ! Thanks a lot. In fact I had set out to remove the
DTD manually, but my first attempts failed. I can see that the DTD
specif went away in the fixed file.

For what it's worth, there is still some adobe-specific metadata cruft
that can be removed with no harm apparently:

	<metadata>
		<variableSets xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/Variables/1.0/";>
			<variableSet varSetName="binding1" locked="none">
				<variables/>
				<v:sampleDataSets xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/GenericCustomNamespace/1.0/"; xmlns:v="http://ns.adobe.com/Variables/1.0/"/>
			</variableSet>
		</variableSets>
		<sfw xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/SaveForWeb/1.0/";>
			<slices/>
			<sliceSourceBounds y="322.867" x="251" width="108.758" height="144.133" bottomLeftOrigin="true"/>
		</sfw>
	</metadata>

Attached to this mail is a version saved with inkscape and edited to
remove any reference to adobe. This new file loads fine in Inkscape,
The Gimp, Iceweasel and... GNU Emacs!

Maybe the folks at debian-www@lists.debian.org might want to give it a
test and replace the old file with this one? Anyhow I now have my
Debian logo for my slides!

Thanks all for helping with this issue.

Cheers,
Filippo