Re: Continue discussion about uscan enhancement (Was: Uscan enhancements revitalised)

Quoting Andreas Tille (2013-01-16 15:11:22)
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 02:43:54PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >
> > Sorry if I am dense...
>
> I like you because I know you are dense. ;-)
>
> > You agree that Files and Files-Excluded should ideally use same
> > format, but you find it more important that Files-Excluded be
> > flexible - even if Files as currently defined is not.
> >
> > Did I get that correct?
> >
> > In case it was unclear: I find it more important for Files and
> > Files-Excluded to use _same_ format than for Files-Excluded to use
> > an ideal format _now_.
> >
> > I find it better to discuss (later!) relaxing that Files format,
> > which would then affect both Files and Files-Excluded, than to now
> > try second-guess what Files format might be relaxed to allow in the
> > future.
>
> Let me put it like this: My *current* implementation of uscan is
> accepting [] wildcards.  I would need to squeeze my mind to reduce the
> functionality of find to implement the Files format definition.  If
> somebody volunteers to send me a patch I would consider applying it.
> For the moment I see no need for action before a discussion has
> started.
>
> I have documented the difference between the `Files` and
> `Files-Excluded` formats in the Wiki[2] to make sure we will not
> forget.  Feel free to add a hint to advise users to refrain from using
> [] wildcards.

Fine with me that uscan can do more than needed.

Fine with me if uscan Files-Excluded feature is promoted (e.g. in its
manpage) to support same format as Files field.

Problematic in my opinion if uscan *documented* format is a custom
format.

Fine with me if uscan *documented* format is the current Files field
format, leaving that additional functionality as an undocumented
(mis)feature.

 - Jonas