Re: Bootstrappable Debian - proposal of needed changes

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 13:50:17 +0000
Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> > For even further automation and also for quality assurance, we propose
> > another new field for source packages which indicates whether or not
> > this source package is supposed to be cross compilable.
>
> Is it possible that packages might only cross build for certain
> targets ?  Or only for certain hosts ?

For certain host architectures: yes, definitely. Any source package
which includes assembly (there are more than most people expect) and any
package which then has a build dependency on a binary package
built from the source package(s) containing assembly and so on.
(This is a separate discussion, please don't hijack this
thread for the pros and cons of assembly in packages.)

Also, cross-building of kernels other than Linux and the packages
which build-depend on the headers for such kernels is often not
supported by cross-building toolchains.

These failures are recursive and it can be very hard to identify why
package A wouldn't cross-build until the bootstrapping process shows
that it absolutely requires a package N levels down the dependency
chain which fails to cross build.

--

Neil Williams