Re: Time to merge back ubuntu improvements!

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:18 PM, alberto fuentes <pajaro@gmail.com> wrote:
> _Proposal_:
> Add a new release stage between stable and testing. Called usable or
> whatever name we find fit for it
>
> stable <- <usable> <- testing <- sid
>
> Migrate packages after a period* in testing without RC bugs.
> *a 2-4 weeks seems reasonable to me
>
> _Rationale_:
> In current state, stable has packages that are too old.
> Testing, as usable as usually is, occasionally breaks. It broke 3 times more
> or less this year to me. These breakages render a poor desktop user
> experience.

Why did testing break for you? Why do you think that adding another
stage, in which packages migrate automatically after some time period,
will magically prevent that?

I'm convinced it will not. You can help here much more by improving
testing instead of making our release process much more complicated
than needed.

--
regards,
    Reinhard