Re: Time to merge back ubuntu improvements!

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 19:18:27 +0100, alberto fuentes wrote:

> The only ways to prevent this if you are running the more or less
> up-to-date testing are:
>  * Pin packages with RC bugs on upgrade. This is:
>     - Non trivial: it makes you understand how bad the bug is and know how
> the pinning system works

No and yes.

No, because apt-listbugs exists and provides a nice interface so users
don't have to care about pinning details for themselves.

Yes, because from my very practical experience users are often
confused when apt-listbugs presents them a bug subject.

>     - Ineffective: its a matter of luck that the bug is found before you
> upgrade the package. In the worst case scenario, the package entered
> testing one second before you tried to upgrade and has not being broadly
> tested yet to find those pesky RC bugs.

Pesky RC bugs are usually reported within few hours after they enter
unstable, no danger for testing here.

>     - Useless if you are trying to install a new package and the bug
> already hit testing

Use apt-listbugs.

Cheers,
gregor