Re: [RFC] Go (golang) packaging

On 1 January 2013 19:47, Michael Stapelberg <stapelberg@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Dmitrijs,
>
> Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@debian.org> writes:
>> What about multiarch?
> I tried to address this on the wiki page, see
> http://wiki.debian.org/MichaelStapelberg/GoPackaging#Multi-Arch.2Fcross-compiling

I was more concerned about future-proof, e.g. in debian we have
distinct armel & armhf and currently with multiarch I can
cross-compile binaries for either target from my amd64 build-machine.
In debian we have far more ports than any other distros. It would be
nice if go could use gnu and/or debian triplets instead of one more
incomplete set for the same thing.

> Essentially, I currently believe that multi-arch does not make sense for
> go, since we are only dealing with static binaries. E.g. to run an i386
> program, you don’t need any additional libraries:

I understand that users running the resulting binaries typically do
not need anything.
My interest in multi-arch support is for fast cross-compilation, i.e.
the same reason pre-compiled libraries are shipped for "native"
compilation.
I could use chroots, but having all those packages as "M-A: same"
would be lovely... which brings the argument back into the circle that
upstream doesn't define unique per-arch paths (at least not for arm*)

reference: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchCross

Regards,

Dmitrijs.