Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:14:22 +0100
Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:

> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> (07/02/2012):
> > I'd like to ask for some help with a bug which is tripping up my tests
> > with the multiarch-aware dpkg from experimental - #647522 -
> > non-deterministic behaviour of gzip -9n.
>
> For those not subscribed to that bug, how to reproduce[1] and possible
> fix[2] are available now. There might be other places where buffers are
> reused, I only spent a few minutes on this during my lunch break.
>
>  1. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=55;bug=647522
>  2. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=60;bug=647522

Thanks for taking that one stage on, Cyril. I ran out of time to look
at this any further yesterday, I've only just got back to the bug and
noticed the hint about multiple files on the command line from Zack
Weinberg. It makes sense that with a single file on the command line,
the "aberrant" compressed file never appears when with more than one,
it can.

--

Neil Williams