Re: GFDL in main

On 12/02/2012 05:16 AM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
> Yes, this _is_ exactly what we need.
>
> "1. Debian will remain 100% free" [1]
>
> And we better not release until licensing problems in main are resolved.

We all agree to the social contract and the DFSG, and you
know it. There's absolutely no need to lecture it.

Well, what difference does it make if we release first? We
can always fix it *after* the release, even in Debian
Wheezy. Yes, we actually *can* fix things on the stable
release.

And by the way, the problem might also be in Squeeze
(I haven't checked for it). If so, it shall be fixed there as
well...

> Documentation is usually not essential to execute and run the system,
> so there shouldn't be any dependency cycles to consider when removing
> the documentation or shipping it in non-free.

Never the less, I don't think it's a good idea to delay the
release only for such a problem. Many other groups
consider the GFDL as acceptable and free. We, in Debian,
decided otherwise, probably because we care more than
others about the freedom of the software we ship. This is
very good, IMO. However, delaying the release just for that
is a bit of an extreme view (unless you are proposing
yourself for doing all the NMU, *AND* helping the release
team with the huge list of pending unblocks).

Cheers,

Thomas